Here we provide NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Chapter 14 – The Bishop’s Candlesticks, Which will very helpful for every student in their exams. Students can download the latest NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Chapter 14 pdf. Now you will get step by step solution to each question.
Copy and complete the following paragraph about the theme of the play in pairs:
The play deals with a _______________and __________________Bishop who is always
ready to lend a _________________hand to anyone in distress. A _________________
breaks into the Bishop’s house and is ___________________________and warmed. The benevolence of the Bishop somewhat _____________________the convict, but, when he
sees the silver candlesticks, he ____________________ them, and runs away. However, he is _______________________and brought back. He expects to go back to jail, but the Bishop informs the police they are a _______________________________. The convict is ___________________by this kindness of the Bishop and before he leaves he seeks the priest’s blessing.
The play deals with a kind and charitable Bishop who is always ready to lend a helping hand to anyone in distress. A convict breaks into the Bishop’s house and is fed and warmed. The benevolence of the Bishop somewhat confounds the convict, but, when he sees the silver candlesticks, he steals them, and runs away. However, he is arrested and brought back. He expects to go back to jail, but the Bishop informs the police they are a gift. The convict is moved by this kindness of the Bishop and before he leaves he seeks the priest’s blessing.
(1) Kind Hearted − nasty, unkind
(2) Unscrupulous − ethical, moral, good
(3) Forgiving − censure, charge, punish
(4) Stern − cheerful, funny, lenient
(5) Benevolent − greedy, malevolent, mean, selfish
(6) Credulous − skeptical, suspecting, suspicious
(7) Generous − greedy, mean, miserly
(8) Pious – atheist, impious, irreligious
(9) Suspicious − innocent, trustworthy, trusty
(10) Sympathetic − callous, merciless, uncaring, unconcerned
(11) Understanding − misunderstanding, intolerant
(12) Wild − civilized, controlled, delicate, gentle
(13) Innocent − bad, blamable, corrupt
(14) Penitent − happy, unashamed
(15) Clever − awkward, foolish, idiotic, ignorant,
(16) Brutal − generous, humane, kind, nice
(17) Cunning − gullible, kind, naive
(18) Caring − disregarding, ignoring, neglecting
(19) Sentimental − hard-hearted, indifferent, pragmatic, unemotional
(20) Trusting- disagree, dispute, reject, renounce
(21) Protective − attacking, harmful, hurtful, injurious
(22) Concerned − happy, undisturbed, unperturbed
(23) Honourable − not respectful, unhonourable
(24) Embittered − pleasant, content, genial
All Subject NCERT Solutions For Class 9
I think you got complete solutions for this chapter. If You have any queries regarding this chapter, please comment on the below section our subject teacher will answer you. We tried our best to give complete solutions so you got good marks in your exam.